Travel gear is a must when exploring rugged expeditions, such as climbing mountains, exploring remote wilderness areas, or undertaking long-distance treks, can be incredibly challenging and demanding experiences. These expeditions require individuals to push themselves physically and mentally, often in extreme weather conditions, and to rely on their gear to keep them safe and comfortable throughout the journey.
My life has brought me from polar bears in Torngat Mountains in Newfoundland and Labrador, to the Machu Picchu peaks across the Salkantay paths in Peru, and further deep in the Wadi Rum Desert in Jordan, to land in the most remote places where I never thought I could reach on my own. My solo trip retracing the epic Route 66 requires a post all on its own.
But this is another story. Today we dive into gear.
We all have our preferences, and I know that this is going to create a division within my readers, but please let’s all agree that we all have a preference…I’m in love with Nikon.
The leading camera manufacturer known for its high-quality cameras, lenses, and accessories. Nikon has a long history dating back to 1917 when it was founded as Japan Optical Industries Co., Ltd. The company produced its first camera, the Nikon Model I, in 1948, and since then, Nikon has been at the forefront of camera technology and innovation.
The philosophy is to create products that help people express themselves through photography. They strive to develop cameras and lenses that allow photographers to capture their vision and creativity with the highest quality images.
For me a camera requires superior image quality, high resolution, sharpness, color accuracy, a wide dynamic range, fast autofocus systems to ensure that every shot is captured with stunning clarity and detail. Most cameras these days are at the top of all my requirements, so my advice here is to pick what is best for you and what is within your budget.
Nikon offers a range of cameras to suit the needs of different types of photographers, from professionals to hobbyists. My heart is stuck on the D800e and the D810. Yes, I know, these are older models, but the ruggedness is incredible and the colors and sharpness are unparalleled.
Don’t get me wrong, I shot with Sony, Panasonic, Canon, and the one and only Hasselblad. There are merits on each of these outstanding brands.
Hasselblad is the dream, no doubt, but the pricepoint is beyond my reach.
Nikon, with the new Z9 became what I couldn’t even dream of, yet right at my reach, and that is why I bought two, and keeping all my dream lenses on my D800e and D810.
On the other hand, personal gear is as important for me than photography gear.
Professional gear is essential for my expeditions for several reasons:
- Durability: Professional gear is designed to withstand the harsh conditions and rough handling that is common during rugged expeditions. High-quality materials, reinforced stitching, and robust construction make professional gear more durable than standard outdoor equipment. This durability ensures that gear will not fail at a critical moment, such as a backpack strap breaking or a tent pole snapping in high winds.
- Functionality: Professional gear is specifically designed for the tasks at hand. Equipment like tents, backpacks, and sleeping bags are optimized for specific environments and use cases. For example, a high-altitude tent will have greater insulation and strength to withstand the intense winds and cold temperatures found at high elevations. Similarly, a backpack designed for mountaineering will have specialized features such as ice axe loops and rope attachment points.
- Safety: Rugged expeditions can be dangerous, and professional gear is designed with safety in mind. Climbing ropes, harnesses, and carabiners are engineered to support heavy loads and withstand falls, reducing the risk of injury in the event of an accident. Navigation equipment such as GPS devices, maps, and compasses are also critical for ensuring that expedition members can stay on course and avoid getting lost.
- Comfort: Professional gear can make rugged expeditions more comfortable and enjoyable. High-quality sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and tents can provide insulation and protection from the elements, allowing expedition members to rest better and recover more quickly. Additionally, clothing made from high-performance materials can wick away sweat and provide warmth, keeping expedition members comfortable in a range of conditions.
- Efficiency: Professional gear is designed to help expedition members move more efficiently and effectively. Lightweight, streamlined equipment can reduce the weight and bulk of a backpack, allowing for easier movement and reducing fatigue. Tools like crampons and ice axes can help climbers navigate challenging terrain more easily, allowing for faster progress.
In summary, professional gear is essential for rugged expeditions due to its durability, functionality, safety, comfort, and efficiency. Investing in high-quality gear can make the difference between a successful, enjoyable expedition and a dangerous, uncomfortable one.
Exploring remote locations around the world as a professional photographer can present unique challenges and demands on your equipment. When preparing for such expeditions, it is crucial to have the right gear to ensure that you capture stunning images while keeping your equipment safe and secure. Here are some essential professional photography gear requirements for exploring remote locations around the world:
- Camera Body: The camera body is the foundation of your photography gear, and when it comes to exploring remote locations, you need a rugged, weather-sealed camera that can withstand extreme conditions. Look for a camera body that is designed to handle harsh environments, has a high resolution, and can shoot at high frame rates to capture action and fast-moving subjects.
- Lenses: The lenses you choose will depend on the types of images you want to capture. For example, a wide-angle lens is ideal for capturing landscapes, while a telephoto lens is useful for wildlife photography. Consider investing in lenses that are durable, weather-resistant, and have high-quality glass to ensure sharp images.
- Tripod: A sturdy tripod is essential for landscape photography, long exposures, and shooting in low light conditions. Look for a lightweight and durable tripod that is easy to carry in your backpack and can hold the weight of your camera and lens.
- Storage: When exploring remote locations, you may not have access to power or the internet to back up your images. Therefore, it is essential to have enough storage to capture all the images you need. Invest in high-capacity memory cards, and consider using a backup system, such as a portable hard drive, to ensure your images are safe.
- Batteries: You never know how long you will be away from a power source when exploring remote locations, so having enough batteries is crucial. Invest in high-quality camera batteries and bring multiple batteries, so you can continue shooting without interruption.
- Filters: Filters are essential for landscape photography, as they can enhance the colors and contrast in your images. Look for polarizing filters, neutral density filters, and graduated filters, depending on the lighting conditions and the effect you want to achieve.
- Lighting: Depending on the type of photography you are doing, you may need additional lighting equipment, such as flash units or portable studio lighting. Look for lighting that is lightweight and easy to transport, but still powerful enough to provide the illumination you need.
- Protection: Finally, when exploring remote locations, it is crucial to protect your gear from the elements. Invest in high-quality camera bags, rain covers, and lens hoods to ensure that your equipment stays dry and protected.
In summary, exploring remote locations as a professional photographer requires durable, high-quality equipment that can withstand extreme conditions. Investing in the right gear will ensure that you capture stunning images while keeping your equipment safe and secure.
As a world traveller I do love my gear and I stumboled upon the Northbound Gear brand. While this is not a paid endorsemetn, I do feel the need to give a shout out.
Northbound Gear is a brand that specializes in outdoor and travel gear, with a focus on designing products that are durable, functional, and affordable. Here are some features that set Northbound Gear’s products apart from other brands:
Quality Materials: Northbound Gear uses high-quality materials to ensure that their products are durable and long-lasting. Expandable, Adaptable, & Waterproof! The “Voyager” Expandable Backpack is versatile enough for any occasion, and features a built-in raincoat (just in case!)
- Adjustable Capacity: Quickly expand your backpack from 26L of storage to 38L making this backpack perfect for daily use or travel.
- 16 Total Pockets: wet/dry separation pockets, room for a weekend getaway, 17.3 inch laptop compartment, organization unit for office supplies & more!
- Build-in Raincoat: A built-in raincoat poncho in the bottom pocket has you covered if the weather takes a turn.
- Waterproof Design: Waterproof material & waterproof zippers so your belongings are always dry and safe.
- Ideal Carry On Bag: Designed to fit the maximum size for IATA flights.
- Multiple Carry Methods: Use as a daily backpack, a flight approved carry on with luggage handles or a handbag with hideaway backpack straps.
- USB port: Charge your phone on the go
- Security pocket: Conveniently located security pocket can hold your passport, ID cards, keys cash and other valuables
Thoughtful Design: Northbound Gear’s products are designed with the needs of outdoor enthusiasts in mind. For example, their backpacks have ergonomic straps and padding to ensure comfortable carrying, while their compression sacks have a roll-top closure and a purge valve for easy compression and packing.
Affordability: While Northbound Gear’s products are high-quality and thoughtfully designed, they are also priced affordably. This makes them accessible to a wide range of outdoor enthusiasts, regardless of budget.
Versatility: Many of Northbound Gear’s products are versatile and can be used in a variety of outdoor and travel settings. For example, their compression sacks can be used to compress and organize clothing and gear in a backpack, but can also be used as a dry bag or even a pillow.
Sustainability: Northbound Gear is committed to sustainability and reducing its environmental impact. They use eco-friendly materials when possible, such as recycled polyester, and strive to minimize waste in their production processes.
My favourite of all are the Men’s “Adventure” Water Resistant Pants.
Rain, snow, or cooler weather won’t stop you from getting out and exploring! Our Water Resistant “Adventure” Pants are the perfect companion for your next outdoor experience. Guaranteed to keep you warm, dry, and comfortable—so you can get out there and do what you love.
- Completely Water Resistant
- Breathable & Moisture Wicking
- 4-Way Stretch for Maximum Flexibility
- Fleece Interior
- 4 Zippered Pockets
- Tear Resistant
- Flexible Waistband
- Reinforced Stitching
- Ankle Side Zips
- Exterior – 92% polyester 8% spandex
- Interior – 90% polyester 5% spandex 5% man-made wool
Overall, Northbound Gear’s products stand out for their combination of high-quality materials, thoughtful design, affordability, versatility, and sustainability. These features make them a great choice for outdoor enthusiasts who want gear that can keep up with their adventures without breaking the bank.